I had the pleasure of growing up in the beautiful city of Charleston, South Carolina. Whether you’re a foodie, an adventurer, a beach bum or a history buff, Charleston is a charming city that everyone must experience.
Here are some of my favorite things about Charleston:
- Festivals – It seems there is always one to attend no matter what time of year it is. Some of the most notable are the Spoleto Festival (a world renowned performing arts festival), the Lowcountry Oyster Festival, the Cajun Festival, the Azalea Festival, the Taste of Charleston, and the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition.
- Food – There is definitely no shortage of food options. I of course recommend those that serve up the fresh local southern cuisine. Be sure to check out Magnolia’s, SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), FIG (Food Is Good), HUSK and Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit. Shrimp and grits are often on the menu in the south, but it is a must try at SNOB. Some of the best I’ve ever had!
- Beaches- There are several beaches just a short drive from the heart of downtown Charleston. My recommendation is Isle of Palms/Sullivan’s Island if you are looking for some true relaxation. If you’re into a more action packed beach I’d go with Folly Beach. Kiawah Island is also a beautiful spot if you have time to check it out (about a 40-minute drive).
- Sports – If you are a sports fan, Charleston is home to a professional soccer team, an ice hockey team and a minor-league baseball team. There are several championship golf courses with breathtaking views as well.
- The Battery – This is one of Charleston’s most beloved spots. It’s a fortified seawall at the southern tip of the city’s peninsula. The Battery is home to White Point Garden, which boasts large moss covered oak trees and oyster shell paths to take you through the memorials, cannons and statues that are an important piece of the city’s history. But the best part is the gorgeous historic Antebellum homes that line the Battery. It is a view like none other.
I could go on and on about this city. But you’ll just have to check out for yourself. Visit Charleston – you can bet you won’t regret it.
Houldsworth, Russo & Company, P.C. is a public accounting firm providing assurance, tax, and consulting services to non-profit and government organizations, individuals and businesses. Since 1996 HRC has provided quality service to the Las Vegas and surrounding communities through the active involvement of experienced, committed professionals.
Material discussed in this blog is meant to provide general information and should not be acted upon without first obtaining professional advice appropriately tailored to your individual circumstances.